Richmond Race Recap
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1-80):
● Kyle Busch started 15th and finished 14th.
● The M&M’S driver started 15th and moved his way up to 10th by the time the competition caution waved on lap 30.
● Busch came to pit road on lap 32 for tires, fuel and a trackbar adjustment. However, NASCAR issued a penalty to the No. 18 for an equipment violation, and the M&M’S Toyota was sent to the rear of the field for the ensuing restart.
● Busch moved his way back up through the field quickly after restarting 32nd. He was in the top-20 by lap 64 and the top-15 by lap 72.
● The Las Vegas native moved up to 14th by the time Stage 1 ended as he and the team rallied well from the pit road penalty.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 81-235):
● Busch started 11th and finished second, earning nine bonus points.
● The M&M’S driver came to pit road following the stage on lap 84 to take on four tires, fuel and an air pressure adjustment. The M&M’S over-the-wall crew made quick work on pit road and helped Busch restart the second stage 11th.
● Busch wasted no time passing several more cars ahead of him following the restart. He moved up to ninth by lap 95 and into the top-five by lap 124.
● The two-time Cup Series champion came to pit road on lap 132 and returned to the track in the same position.
● Busch continued to gain on the leaders after his green-flag pit stop, and he moved by Ross Chastain into third on lap 154.
● A long green-flag run in the second stage helped Busch gain even more track position, as he moved up into the second position on lap 187 and stayed there until the end of the stage.
Final Stage Recap (Laps 236-400):
● Busch started third and finished ninth.
● Busch came down pit road on lap 239 and took on four tires, fuel and adjustments. He restarted third for the final stage.
● The M&M’S driver pitted on lap 296, and the fast stop by the M&M’S team vaulted Busch into second as the green-flag stops cycled out. A short time later, on lap 306, Busch got by Chastain to take his first lead of the race.
● From there Busch set sail, leading until he hit pit road for the final time on lap 345.
● However, on the final stop Busch was penalized for speeding on pit road, which necessitated a drive-through penalty and ended any chance he had to bring home the win as the rest of the race went caution free.