Race Recap for the Alsco Uniforms 500k
Date: May 28, 2020
Event: Alsco Uniforms 500k (Round 8 of 36)
Series: NASCAR Cup Series
Location: Charlotte (N.C.) Motor Speedway (1.5-mile oval)
Format: 208 laps, broken into three stages (55 laps/60 laps/93 laps)
Start/Finish: 17th/29th (Running, completed 207 of 208 laps)
Point Standing: 12th (217 points, 114 behind leader)
Race Winner: Chase Elliott of Hendrick Motorsports (Chevrolet)
Stage 1 Winner: Joey Logano of Team Penske (Ford)
Stage 2 Winner: Alex Bowman of Hendrick Motorsports (Chevrolet)
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1-55):
● Kyle Busch started 17th and finished 11th.
● The M&M’S Fudge Brownie Camry started 17th, and Busch stayed near that spot for the first 20 laps of the race, telling crew chief Adam Stevens that he had a loose-handling racecar.
● Busch came down pit road on lap 21 after the competition yellow for four tires and an air pressure adjustment, as he restarted 15th on the ensuing restart.
● The Las Vegas native didn’t stay in 15th long, as he moved up to 12th by the time the caution waved for an accident, but also rain and lightning on lap 30.
● After a rain delay of a little over an hour, the race took a green flag with Busch restarting in 12th.
● Busch was able to move up one position to 11th by the time the stage ended.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 56-115):
● Busch started 10th and finished 35th.
● Stevens called Busch to pit road on lap 58 to take on four tires, fuel, and adjustments and restarted stage 2 inside the top-10.
● The Las Vegas native restarted 10th, but ran into trouble on the first lap of stage 2, as he was four wide and the right front of Aric Almirola’s machine touched Busch’s left rear tire, cutting the tire down and necessitating a trip down pit road under green.
● Busch returned to the track in 38th position, two laps down on lap 67.
● Busch worked his way up to 35th, but was still two laps down as stage 2 ended.
Final Stage Recap (Laps 116-208):
● Busch started 34th and finished 29th.
● As the leaders pitted, Busch stayed out following stage 2 in order to take the wave around, helping him to get back one lap and have him sit just one lap down at the start of the final stage.
● The 2019 NASCAR Cup Series champion restarted the final stage one lap down in 34th-place
● With the final stage going green for much of the remaining laps, Busch was never able to get back on the lead lap, and finished the race in 29th-place.
Kyle Busch, driver of the No. 18 M&M’S Fudge Brownie Toyota Camry for Joe Gibbs Racing:
“It was a disappointing night for our M&M’S Fudge Brownie Camry. We were inside the top-10 and working on the car. On the restart there, someone was on my inside and either their header or fender got into my left rear and cut down our tire and we had to pit under green. Just didn’t have enough time to get back two laps. We’ll just move onto Bristol and hope to have a better run there.”
Next Up: The next event on the NASCAR Cup Series schedule is the Food City presents the Supermarket Heroes 500 on Sunday, May 31 at Bristol (Tenn.) Motor Speedway. The race starts at 3:30 p.m. EDT with live coverage provided by FS1 and SiriusXM NASCAR Radio.